If you love the diversity of multiple roles, Kinarm is the place for you.
We are looking for a Junior Software Developer/Network Manager/Control System Producer to join our small team of wickedly smart people.
Kinarm’s interactive robotics are changing the way researchers study the brain, and our understanding of brain injury and disease. Our one-of-a-kind products are designed, manufactured and shipped around the world – all from our headquarters located in Kingston, Ontario. If you like to ‘wear many hats’, this is the place for you.
The 3-in 1 Role
Part 1: Junior Software Developer
This is the fun part. You will be an essential member of our small developer team, involved in every aspect of the development process. If you prove you’ve got the chops, you will have a real opportunity to grow into a senior role. Working in compliance of IEC 62304, you will be responsible for implementation, and debugging on all of our software products. Our products cover a broad range of applications, including:
- Hardware control: real-time control of Kinarm™ robots and other advanced technology during experimental tasks;
- Data acquisition: definition of experimental tasks and protocols, and collection of data in lab and clinical settings;
- Data analysis: creation of automated analyses for our Kinarm Standard Tests product suite requiring sophisticated analytical methods and attention to detail.
This is a unique position that blends technical responsibility, growth potential, and the opportunity to facilitate the translation of cutting-edge brain research to advance the care of persons suffering brain injury and disease.
Part 2: Network Manager
This is the less fun part. As a small company solving hard problems, our crown jewels are stored on our servers. Managing that network to mitigate cybersecurity risk is a big responsibility for a junior, but fear not. We have a robust system designed by senior folks. You will be responsible for back-up audit responsibilities and to ensure our ‘tools of the trade’ are always in tip-top shape.
Part 3: Control System Production
We all need to take a break from the desk and helping out our production team with making computers for our builds is a great way to do it. You need to be good with your hands and a good communicator. If you excel at both, you’ll soon be sent around the world on customer installations.
- Software development with Java, Python, C/C++ or other mainstream language – 3+ years
A portfolio of experience demonstrating:
- Proven ability to define and deliver quality results at each stage of the development process.
- High level of imaginative problem solving, troubleshooting and debugging ability.
- High level of curiosity, creativity, tenacity, and thoughtfulness.
- Ability to follow and provide instructions as both a team member and individual.
- Ability to learn quickly and be comfortable when something is unfamiliar or things become uncertain.
- Strong initiative and communication skills.
- Experience with MATLAB, real-time software development, statistics, and/or mechatronics / robotics an asset, but not required.
- Experience in software development for medical devices and an understanding of medical device compliance landscape an asset, but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university in Computer Science or Engineering.
Apply via email to email@example.com Applicants will be considered as soon as received. Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
Kinarm is committed to employment equity, welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from people with disabilities. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.